Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: New packet list - out of memory?

From: Bill Meier <wmeier () newsguy com>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 18:48:52 -0400

Bill Meier wrote:
A data point: A few days ago while working on bug #2375 I noticed that
on Windows that if I defined the env logicals to not use se_alloc & etc
that *much* less memory was required to load a capture. (20% of that
used with se_alloc & etc ? I don't quite remember).

Details:

Env: Windows Vista

Actions:

1. Load Wireshark
    Determine "Private Working Set", "Working Set", "Commit Size"

2. Load a 40 Meg capture file.
    Determine ....  again

The above was done for:

a. Wireshark with new_packet_list:

b. Wireshark w/new_packet_list:
     set WIRESHARK_DEBUG_EP_NO_CHUNKS=T
     set WIRESHARK_DEBUG_SE_NO_CHUNKS=T

c. Wireshark without new packet list

d. Wireshark without new packet list
     set WIRESHARK_DEBUG_EP_NO_CHUNKS=T
     set WIRESHARK_DEBUG_SE_NO_CHUNKS=T

Measurements

Note: The Working Set was always about 20 Meg larger than the
    Private Working Set(PWS) so only the PWS is shown.

(All values in Megs)
                                        EP/SE Chunks        No Chunks
                                        PWS  Commit        PWS  Commit