Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Captruing raw ethernet bytes or packets

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:26:06 -0700

On Oct 30, 2009, at 9:03 PM, Joe G (Home) wrote:

I use my own ethernet protocol.  can I use Wireshark to capture the
raw
bytes and ethernet packets not an standard ethernet packet?

What do you mean by "[your] own Ethernet protocol"?  Do you mean that
the frames you send out over Ethernet don't start with a standard
Ethernet header (6 octets of destination address, 6 octets of source
address, 2 octets of type/length field)?  Or do you mean that they
*do* start with a standard Ethernet header, and you're running your
own protocol *on top of* a standard Ethernet header with a type field,
or a standard Ethernet header with a length field and with a standard
802.2 LLC header (and possibly a SNAP header)?