Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Accessing decoded data in packet details pane trough LUA listener/tap?

From: Florian <wireshark-dev.lists () flocom de>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 08:05:07 +0200

Jeff Morriss wrote:
Florian wrote:

Is there any way to access data [of tree view in the packet
details pane] (fieldname seems to be "Text item") through Lua?

Are you trying to get the filter name or the value of the field (which
is just text)?  The former is not possible as mentioned above and I
doubt (but do not know) that the latter is possible.

I am interested in the value of the field, so I will better try if I can
make a patch against the offending dissector (removing the
proto_tree_add_text() function you mentioned).
Additional question: can the content of any column (i.e. info) be read
from LUA?

I don't think you can read the contents of a column from a built-in
dissector (or, if it was possible, whether it would be allowed).  What
information do you need from the column?

The Info column already provides a good summary of the packet displayed
in the protocol tree, so I do not need to collect that data for my
analysis again.