Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Get data from previous request packet in subsequent reply packet

From: Frank Lahm <franklahm () googlemail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:51:21 +0200

Richard,

2010/8/26 Richard van der Hoff <rav () faith sw1v org>:
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Frank Lahm wrote:

2010/8/26 Frank Lahm <franklahm () googlemail com>:
Hi list,

I'm trying to find a way to get at data from a previous request packet
in order to correctly dissect the current packet.

Frank,

I only skimmed your code, so it may be that you have this covered already,
but do remember that your dissector will not always be called with the
packets in sequential order. (It will be called with each packet in turn
initially, but will then be called again for each packet the user clicks
on). So if there's more than one request in the conversation, you need to
make sure that you are cross-referencing to the right one when dissecting

thanks for chiming in!

As a long time user of the AFP dissector I know that it handles
multiple conversations right. ;)
It's just the first time that I start to make substantial enhancements
to the dissector. Alas, I picked a tough target for a starter: AFP is
completely documented by Apple besided one singel AFP call
FPSpotlightRPC. So I've got to reverse engineer it which turns out to
be a tough task ask the packets are complicated.

Cheers, Frank!