Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Does libwsutil need to be its own library?

From: Stephen Fisher <steve () stephen-fisher com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 18:01:29 -0700

On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 06:41:44PM -0500, Jeff Morriss wrote:
On 12/03/2010 06:30 PM, Stephen Fisher wrote:
Does libwsutil need to be its own library that is installed (on Unix)
alongside libwireshark and libwiretap?

I think it's useful: it gives us a place that is neither wiretap nor
libwireshark to stick basic utility-type or otherwise shared code.

Making it a shared library that is installed separately just means we
don't have 6 (or however many) copies of the code in each executable.

Why?

I was just curious.  I rarely install Wireshark on machines I do
development on (I run it from the build directory), so when I installed
it for a change that the little ~22k libwsutil.so.0 was installed :).  I
was thinking of it from more of a "do any non-Wireshark programs really
need the wsutil shared library out there?" perspective compared to
libwireshark that I know other programs utilize and libwiretap that is
possibly used by other programs as well.  Thanks.