Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: What is BASE_HEX_DEC

From: Stephen Fisher <steve () stephen-fisher com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:54:50 -0700

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:40:44AM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:

On Dec 17, 2010, at 12:37 AM, Hoang Thang wrote:

I am seeing the source code of Wireshark and confuse what
BASE_DEC_HEX and BASE_HEX_DEC are. Why don't we use only BASE_HEX or
BASE_DEC ?

Because, for whatever reason, some people want the value of a numeric
field displayed in both hexadecimal and decimal.

... and BASE_DEC_HEX displays the decimal then the hexadecimal in
parentheses, while BASE_HEX_DEC does the opposite.

For example:

  BASE_DEC_HEX: 126 (0x7e)
  BASE_HEX_DEC: 0x7e (126)