Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: WindowsXP Broadcast question

From: Stuart Kendrick <skendric () fhcrc org>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 07:11:00 -0800

No, I haven't.  Windows boxes broadcast NBNS look-ups and announcements for a
range of reasons, and chatter in this fashion with a loquacity I find
astonishing.  But I haven't seen a single station broadcast with that frequency
(every few seconds) nor look-up the NetBIOS name 'CN.KING.CD'.

If I had to guess, I would make the same guess you are making.  Sounds like you
have a bunch of boxes infected with some flavor of malware, (though I don't know
why that malware is performing CN.KING.CD look-ups every few seconds, nor why it
is using NBNS rather than DNS).

Brain-storming here:  you could gather a list of the infected IP addresses using
Wireshark, then perform NBNS look-ups on those addresses:

C:\temp>nbtstat -A 10.11.88.152

Hutch:
Node IpAddress: [10.11.88.152] Scope Id: []

            NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

        Name               Type         Status
     SALLY          <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
     FHCRC          <00>  GROUP       Registered
     SALLY          <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
     FHCRC          <1E>  GROUP       Registered

     MAC Address = 00-1A-A0-AF-A5-A9

C:\temp>

That gets you the NetBIOS name ('Sally') of the infected machine.  With a little
local knowledge, perhaps you can track a NetBIOS name down to a physical location.

hth,

--sk

Hi, I'm new to the list and thought I'd give this question a try.

Has anyone seen a NBNS Broadcast where all the nodes on a link/ subnet are
sending NBNS broadcasts with the following listed in Wireshark's
"Info" column: "Name query NB CN.KING.CD<00>"