Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Extending wireshark with Python

From: "Craig Reese" <cfreese5 () verizon net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 21:46:29 -0500

(as recent as 1.3.3)

From: Stig Bjørlykke <stig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 02:06:56 +0200I just gave it a quick try on a protocol
registering to "udp.port".

The first problem occurred in an assert in splash_update, proposed
gtk/about_dlg.c (revision 28551)+++ gtk/about_dlg.c (working copy)@@ -229,9 +229,10 @@}if(ul_count == 0) /* get the
count of dissectors */- ul_count = register_count() + 6; /* additional 6 for:+ ul_count = register_count() + 8; /*
additional 8 for:dissectors, listeners,registering plugins, handingoff plugins,+ registering python, handingoff
python,preferences and configuration */main_lb = g_object_get_data(G_OBJECT(win), "protocol_label");The fix adds 2 (one
for protocol, one for handoff) but in reality you need toadd 2 for _each_ python plugin registered.  I'm not sure how
to fix things, but the real problem seems to be that the counts are"hard coded" in proto_reg_count, and
handoff_reg_count in epan/dissectors/register.c and don't take into account that the python ones are added
dynamically.On a related note...  Has the Python work been orphaned?  I can't find much inthe way of others
testing/fixing these basic bugs.