Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: how to start Wireshark automatically at each boot-up?

From: Hrishikesh Murali <hrishikeshmurali88 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:40:54 +0530

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

...if you're running on a UN*X with an /etc/rc.local.  That obviously won't
help on Windows.

This is true, I was wrong in assuming that the user is using UN*X systems.

As others have noted, it's not clear that Wireshark - or even the non-GUI
TShark - would be the right tool for this purpose.  If somebody wants to
record network *usage*, even running dumpcap or "tcpdump -w" might be
overkill - capturing traffic won't just give them the amount of network
traffic, it'll give you the full *contents* of the network traffic, so if
they use, for example, 250GB/month of network traffic, capturing that
traffic will consume at least 250GB/month of disk space....

You are right, I should have suggested the non-GUI option, especially if the
user is planning on caputring traffic over a reasonably long period of
time.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Hrishikesh Murali