Wireshark mailing list archives

General "Noob" Questions

From: Shawn Mayer <mayer_sr () wvwc edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:20:41 -0500

Hello,
I am currently endeavoring to modify/create a Wireshark dissector. I am
going to develop on Windows. I have followed the instructions at
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html
successfully. My questions are: where do I go from here? I have
programming experience with Java and vb.net, using BlueJ and Visual
Studio respectively. It's the jump of getting the Wireshark code into an
editable form that I am stuck at. What development software would you
recommend if not Visual Studio, or how do I open/import it into Visual
Studio? I apologize for these stupid questions, and the ones I will
undoubtedly ask when I actually start coding.

Shawn

NTMail K12 - the Mail Server for Education