Wireshark mailing list archives

proto_item_append_text() using proto_tree

From: David Aggeler <david_aggeler () hispeed ch>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:26:32 +0200

I was always wondering, why I would need to have *two* objects for an item containing a subtree. Doing debugging I realized, that its one and the same object. and both types (proto_tree/proto_item) origin in proto_node. That makes much more sense.

Any objection to use proto_item_append_text() passing proto_tree? It would simply my dissector quite a bit. And are there any objections to even go one step further, and call everything a node my dissector?

David