Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark beginner

From: Hansang Bae <for_list_hbae () nyc rr com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 23:33:29 -0400

On 7/15/2010 3:47 PM, Ari Winokur wrote:
I have looked at Wireshark, but don't know much about packet capture
or sniffing a network.  I would like to break more into this area.
 Can anyone recommend a good resource in this area?  I have looked at
Laura Chappell's book but I am not certain if a beginner to this field
will be able to follow the book.  Any opinions on that?

Check out Sharkfest 2010 presentations.  There are some material aimed
at beginners.  One book I can recommend to someone starting out is by
"Troubleshooting TCP/IP " by Mark A. Miller.  This book won't teach you
TCP, but it will get you started in analyzing TCP.

If you don't have a good handle on TCP, you should really start by
reading "Internetwork with TCP/IP" by Comer, or "TCP/IP Illustrated Vol
1" by Stevens.

hsb