Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: PacketReceivePacket error out on allocating buffer gerater than 4MB

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 01:36:30 -0700

On Jul 28, 2010, at 3:29 PM, Pushkar Tiwari wrote:

I have written a piece of code to capture packets at very high speed. I have writen my code using Packet API.
To gain better performance I tried allocating large buffer using  "PacketSetBuff" API. PacketSetBuff doesn't return
any error on allocating buffer greater than 4MB.
But when I call PacketReceivePacket  to retrieve the packet, the call fails.

Is there any restriction on the buffer that can be allocated? Is there some other wy through which we can allocate
higher buffer and get the better performance.

Whats is the kernel buffer size that winpcap allocate by default?

The wireshark-users list is for users of the Wireshark application, just as wireshark-dev is for people developing code
for Wireshark.  Neither are the best list for people trying to develop their own applications using WinPcap; the right
list is the winpcap-users mailing list:

        http://www.winpcap.org/contact.htm