Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Need help on installing WS on Centos 5

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:47:23 -0400

Rajesh Mahadevan wrote:
Hi,

I have been trying to install wireshark and wireshark-gnome rpm on a
server running CentOS 5. This is an i386 (32-bit) server.

I did multiple searches on the internet and found that my server
requires "wireshark-<version>.i386.rpm" and
"wireshark-gnome-<version>.i386.rpm" packages. The difficulty I am
having is to find the right rpm version of wireshark and where to find
them. My server has "libpcap-0.9.4-11.el5.rpm" package installed and
"openssl-devel-0.9.8b-8.3.e15_0.2" & "openssl-0.9.8b-8.3.e15_0.2"
packages installed.

Someone provided me two wireshark RPMs :
"wireshark-0.99.4-EL3.1.i386.rpm" and
"wireshark-gnome-0.99.4.EL3.1i386.rpm".

I tried to install but it failed complaining "Failed Dependencies".  Any
help is highly appreciated.

Those are RH EL3 RPMs--I would expect some dependencies trouble trying
to install them on the equivalent of RH EL5.

Why not just do a "yum install wireshark-gnome" and pull the Wireshark
RPMs directly from CentOS?  (Or "up2date wireshark-gnome" if you have
up2date installed and it works.)