Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: SSL or TCP https in capture

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 11:03:23 +1000

Mary,

HTTPS uses SSL as encapsulating and encrypting layer, so for all intents
they are the same thing. (It is also often referred to as TLS to make it
more confusing).

To see ports clearly in the Packet List pane, you can add a column in the
top pane using Edit:Preferences:Column and add the TCP source and/or
destination port. (I think this is what you mean by summary).

Alternatively you might be asking how to turn off TCP port name resolution
that shows up by default in the "Info" field. In View:Name Resolution just
untick "Enable for Transport Layer", and then View:Reload. It will then show
TCP port number instead of trying to resolve to service names in the Info
field.

Statistics:Conversations:TCP also shows all of the TCP ports used in the
whole capture.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99 () gmail com