Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: standalone packet dissection

From: Zack Elan <zelan () autovirt com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 10:24:38 -0400

Calling libwireshark routines would amount to re-using them directly, for legal reasons - you cannot make a product
out of >libwireshark without your product being GPLed.

Sorry, I should have been more clear on this point - even if linking to libwireshark were technically feasible, our
product would not be a derivative from Wireshark - the Wireshark dissectors would only be called from internal unit
test code to compare our dissector's output with a "known correct" one. We wouldn't be shipping anything
Wireshark-related in any way.

You would have to, for example, somehow run TShark "at arm's length" as a separate process, hand the packets to it
(perhaps over a >pipe), and get the dissected output, e.g. in PDML format (perhaps over another pipe).

I had used TShark before, but hadn't noticed the PDML output option. I think this will do what I want, and be cleaner
than trying to call libwireshark directly. Thanks for the help.

Zack