Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Packet Size limited during capture message

From: Brian Oleksa <oleksab () darkcornersoftware com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:47:19 -0400

Bill

I usually use the GDB debugger under Linux. Unfortunately my Linux box
is being used to run another application
right now so I cannot use it. This is why I was asking you about how you
used editcap to debug as I am looking  for
another way to debug this problem (for now anyway). Tomorrow.. I will
use the debugger.

Thanks,
Brian

Bill Meier wrote:
Brian Oleksa wrote:

Bill

Ok...so I found out that it crashes on frame 17641.

It only took a couple of minuets to find it. But now what do I do with
this info..??

The idea is that it's sometimes easier a to debug a wireshark/tshark
crash when you have a file with a single frame which causes the crash.

You can't really escape using a debugger (altho you can try putting
print statements in strategic places in your dissector instead).

If you're not familiar with using the Microsoft Visual Studio (VC9)
debugger, in the long run it's  worth investing the time to learn how.

See http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Tips