Wireshark mailing list archives

Memory question

From: János Löbb <janos.lobb () yale edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:18:06 -0400

Hi,

I thought that when I dedicate a file for the capture, the program
will not run out of memory, but rather from time to time writes the
captured data to this file.  Yesterday I tried to capture as much as I
could on a PC with windows XP SP3 on it using WireShark 1.2.6 but
after some 20 minutes the program stopped and told it is out of
memory.  The data was in the file, but even after restarting the PC I
was unable to open it.  WireShark again posted an out of memory
message.  Looks to me that Wireshark wants to read all the content
into real memory and it fails.  The size of the file is 321.9MB.  The
machine is a 1.4Ghz Pentium 4 with 384MB of RAM

Is there any setting I can change to be able to open the file and work
with it ?  How folks are doing lengthier captures, like multiple hours ?

Thanks ahead,

János