Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: problem with plugin

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:04:05 +0100

On 30/03/2010 09:52, Rajesh P S wrote:
No. It works fine if I run it from Wireshark-gtk2/Wireshark.exe. If I
download wireshark setup from wireshark.org <http://wireshark.org> ,
and after installing it , if I place my .dll file into C:\Program
Files\Wireshark\plugins I am facing this problem. Please help me out
in this.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu
<mailto:guy () alum mit edu>> wrote:

    On Mar 30, 2010, at 12:27 AM, Rajesh P S wrote:

    > I have developed a wrieshark plugin and now I need to make it
    available for others to use the plugin.
    > If I blindly share the plugin.dll file, it is not possible for
    others to use the plugin straight forward by putting that DLL file
    in the destination PC\program files\wireshark\plugins\. After
     placing  the .dll file into plugins folder, if I click on the
    packets belonging to other protocol say HTTP,UDP  it works fine.
    if I click on the packets of my protocol , then application crashes.

    Sounds like a bug in your plugin.  You might need to run Wireshark
    inside a debugger to find where the bug is.

What version of Visual Studio did you use to compile your plugin?  If
different from the one used for Wireshark releases, then your dll might
be linked to a different version of the c-runtime library and cause the
symptoms you see.

Try building the installer on your machine (you'll need NSIS as per the
developers guide) using 'nmake -f Makefile.nmake packaging' and letting
others install that.  This will ensure all the code is linked against
the same c-runtime library.

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice