Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark trace file for load runner events

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 11:42:31 +1100

The biggest problem with determining the differences is that all your
traffic is encrypted in SSL (HTTPS) so we can't see the actual transactions.

However by inference, the client is clearly operating differently.

The most obvious thing is the total amount of traffic (seen if you view the
Statistics:Summary) the number of packets and bytes is just about double on
the Loadrunner example. But I guess you already knew that

However the most telling thing can be seen from Statistics:Conversations and
TCP. The manual only had 2 HTTPS sessions established. Both seem non-trivial
(in terms of the volume of traffic). However for the loadrunner test there
are 13 HTTPS sessions. Some of the loadrunner driven sessions have very
little traffic, with only 1K or two going each direction.The  last two
established SSL sessions seem to match the volume of your manual test.

So there is a clear difference in how the two operate. What that is can only
be determined either through not using HTTPS (or decrypting the HTTPS) or
using suitable browser or server analysis tools (something like Firebug in
the former, and log or debug tracing on the server.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99 () gmail com

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Mahendranath.N