Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark install missing executable

From: Jose Pedro Oliveira <jpo () di uminho pt>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 12:03:26 +0100

On 2010-05-15 10:29, Scott Sibley wrote:
I've tried installing wireshark on Fedora through the rpm and through
source. Both times there's no ethereal executable. I'm confused.

/usr/share/wireshark/ and /usr/lib/wireshark are there, but nothing in
/usr/bin.

In recent Fedora releases wireshark is packaged in 3 RPMS:

$ yum search wireshark
wireshark-devel.i686 : Development headers and libraries for wireshark
wireshark-gnome.i686 : Gnome desktop integration for wireshark and \
                       wireshark-usermode
wireshark.i686 : Network traffic analyzer

$ rpm -ql wireshark | grep bin/
/usr/sbin/capinfos
/usr/sbin/dftest
/usr/sbin/dumpcap