Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: tshark or dumpcap ring buffer limitations

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:34:54 -0400

Joseph Laibach wrote:
All,

                I’m running a continuous capture of data. I’m trying to
use a ring buffer of 25000 files with an 8mb file size. The problem is
that the ring buffer starts overwriting after 10000 files. I’ve tried it
with dumpcap and tshark. The command is using the –b files:25000 –b
filesize:8192. Is there a limitation to the size of the ring buffer for
dumpcap and/or tshark?

Turns out that if you specify the number of files as 0 then
dumpcap/*shark will create an unlimited number of files.  I don't know
if that's acceptable or if you really need it to roll over at 25,000,
but it's an option.