Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Problem deciphering an openssl stream

From: Philippe Fremy <phil () freehackers org>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:47:39 +0200

kolos_ws () ural2 hu wrote:
Hi Philippe,

Very interesting documentation. Certainly worth adding to the SSL
wiki page.

Is there any way I can validate that my client is using a DH algorithm ?

I looked at the trace again, the thing that looks like choosing the
protocol is the following :

TLSv1 Record Layer: Change Cipher Spec Protocol: Change Cipher Spec
    Content Type: Change Cipher Spec (20)
    Version: TLS 1.0 (0x0301)
    Length: 1
    Change Cipher Spec Message

But it does not mention any protocol names. Nor does it in the debug
log.

In the trace, look at the Server Hello.

It should contain something like 'Cipher Suite'.

I've just done a quick test, and for me, it looks like:
"Cipher Suite: TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA (0x0039)"

Handshake Protocol: Server Hello
[...]
Cipher Suite: TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA (0x002f)

I don't see any DH here, so maybe that's not the problem.

If you're using Firefox as your client, you can view what it's
configured to use by typing 'about:config' in your address bar.

It's a SOAP call done from a python soap implementation. I should be
able to configure it somewhere but I am not sure of what I should put.

cheers,

Philippe