Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Building pruned-down version of tshark

From: Stephen Fisher <steve () stephen-fisher com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 09:26:20 -0600

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:45:29AM -0700, Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan wrote:

I am porting wireshark to an embedded platform. I managed to
cross-compile wireshark (tshark, mainly) and run it on the 32-bit
PowerPC target. However, the executables and shared libraries take
about 80MB. Please see the file sizes below:

Do you need the ability to run tshark (which analyzes the packets) on
the embedded platform or just capture packets?  Wireshark comes with
dumpcap, which can do the capture portion without any analysis, which
can then be moved to a general purpose computer for analysis.