Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-users] Réf. : Re: HELLO ABOUT CAMFROG CHAT SYSTEM

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:40:42 +1000

Joseph,

If all you need to do is determine what IP addresses are using the service,
I doubt you need what you determine as a "plugin" developed  (in fact,
probably it will be what is called a dissector). Provided you know what
ports the application uses, you should be able to filter that using the
standard TCP display filters in wireshark. (Or if you don't know exactly
what ports are using, try to only run that application on your system and
simply surmise from all of the traffic you see what is going on.) You only
need a dissector if you need to visualise the intimate details of the
application in question.

Unfortunately I don't think anybody is going to develop a dissector for you
which might take 10's of hours of work, unless they have their own itch to
scratch or their is a large enough demand that warrants it. However I am
sure if you put the effort to discover a little about how the application
works, and understand how Wireshark dissectors there will be able to help
guide you on the wireshake-dev list.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99 () gmail com