Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-commits] rev 36586: /trunk/ /trunk/tools/: win32-setup.sh /trunk/: Makefile.nmake config.nmake

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 09:16:53 -0700

On Apr 12, 2011, at 8:44 AM, etxrab () wireshark org wrote:

http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=36586

User: etxrab
Date: 2011/04/12 08:44 AM

Log:
Build with zlib-1.2.5 for win32

zlib for GTK hasd this comment:
/* LFS conventions have no meaning on Windows. Looking for feature
 * macros like _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE or _FILE_OFFSET_BITS on Windows is
 * wrong. So make sure any such macros misguidedly defined by the
 * user have no effect. Windows has large file support, but the
 * official zlib DLL has not been built to provide the 64-bit offset
 * APIs, sigh.  So we have just patched out the 64-bit offset API
 * from this header file.
 */

This probably only applies to the file I/O routines in zlib; now that we're no longer using those routines (thanks,
Jakub!), that shouldn't matter.

(We're also using AC_SYS_LARGEFILE to turn on whatever #defines are necessary for large-file support on particular UN*X
platforms, and are using the APIs from the C runtime that support 64-bit file sizes and offsets on Windows, so
Wireshark should now be able to handle large files in 32-bit environments on UN*Xes where AC_SYS_LARGEFILE is
sufficient to get large file support, and it should be able to handle them on NT-based Windows - we no longer support
Windows 9x/Me.  It should have supported large files in 64-bit environments on UN*X, and in 32-bit environments in
4.4-Lite-based UN*Xes such as *BSD and Mac OS X, even before these changes.)