Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: HTTP reassemble and clear text displaying question

From: Stephen Fisher <steve () stephen-fisher com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:41:57 -0600

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 07:53:08PM +0200, Cui Heng wrote:

      If I have HTTP trace of libpcap format, I found wireshark can
perfectly reassemble the HTTP response data and parse its content(e.g.
HTML) in clear text. Can some one suggest me which src file(s) or part
of functions achieve this parsing?

The HTTP dissector handles this - it's in epan/dissectors/packet-http.c.
From there you'll see it pass off to functions from other files such as
req_resp_hdrs_do_reassembly() in epan/req_resp_hdrs.c.  See also
doc/README.developer, section 2.7 "Reassembly/desegmentation for
protocols running atop TCP" for more details on how Wireshark's
reassembly works.