Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark misused?

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 08:56:41 +0200

Hi,

Getting to your reference to 'term agreement', I assume you refer to 'license agreement'. In that case there's nothing for you. Wireshark is FOSS (Free Open Source Software) covered by the GPLv2 (General Public License v2). This license relates to the software itself, its source code and compiled form. Nothing is said about applicable use of the software, hence the term 'Free' in FOSS.

If you feel your personal information has been wrongfully used against you, you might consider legal action, but I doubt it would succeed. The tools are there and the expectation of privacy probably not, due to the fine print in your contract. But that's something for the legal hacks to find out. Here we deal with technical hacks.

Thanks,
Jaap