Wireshark mailing list archives

SVN version number in the documentation?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 09:40:36 -0700

On Apr 6, 2011, at 9:34 AM, sfisher () wireshark org wrote:

http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=36498

User: sfisher
Date: 2011/04/06 09:34 AM

Log:
From Peter via bug #5798: Don't try to run svnversion if it isn't
executable.

Presumably that's "not present or not executable":

$ man test

     -x file       True if file exists and is executable.  True indicates only
                   that the execute flag is on.  If file is a directory, true
                   indicates that file can be searched.

I suspect their problem was that they didn't have Subversion installed on the build machine, so there was no svnversion
command available:

Our QA build system detected following wanning:
* QA Notice: command not found:
*
*      /bin/bash: line 27: svnversion: command not found

The User's Guide says "36497 for Wireshark 1.5"; should we do as we do for the programs, and not bother giving the SVN
version number if you're not building from SVN?