Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: GVCP Dissector

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <marc () petit-huguenin org>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:46:15 -0700

On 08/17/2011 10:35 AM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Aug 17, 2011, at 7:58 AM, Joerg Mayer wrote:

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:04:30AM -0700, Mat Gara wrote:

Additionally in the future we want to make this dissector easily
configurable so that hardware providers could add support for dissecting
their custom register reads.  To do this we want to make use of XML
configuration files and hence we would need to make use of an XML parser
in this dissector.

We already have XML configuration files for the DIAMETER and WiMAX ASN
Control Plane protocols; they use Flex to scan the XML.

One xml parser we have been experimenting with is Expat.  What would it
take to integrate Expat support into wireshark?

The first thing it requires is Expat working on all the versions of UN*X on
which Wireshark works, as well as 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.  Given that
their home page:

http://expat.sourceforge.net/

speaks of fixes to make it build on "HP-UX, Tru64, Solaris 9", it'll probably
work on all the UN*Xes in question; they also mention Windows, but don't say
anything about Win64.

Does it really make sense to do something like this? Why not add the code
directly into Wireshark. For one, interpreting stuff at runtime is bad
performance wise,

How much of the work is done at capture-parsing time rather than just being
done at startup time?

also it will be nice to have support in Wireshark for as many product
specific extensions as possible.

They could contribute XML files to Wireshark.

I think it would be great to have a standard XML parser available in Wireshark -
for my dissector, it would be to parse the XML document that is embedded in the
ConfigUpdate RELOAD message.

I would suggest to look at the VTD-XML[1] parser, which is extremely fast and
compact and so, in my opinion, well suited for the kind of parsing needed by
Wireshark dissectors.

[1] http://vtd-xml.sourceforge.net/

- --
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Personal email: marc () petit-huguenin org
Professional email: petithug () acm org
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org