Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Freeing memory when quitting Wireshark

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 14:04:58 -0700

On Aug 2, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Alex Lindberg wrote:

Win32 in my case is XP + SP3.

It stays in memory (GUI or tshark version) so that when I run another compile on windows, during the copy of the exe
to wireshark-gtk, the build fails with "unable to copy" message.  If I kill wireshark.exe from the task manager, all
is good.

That has nothing to do with failing to free memory when the process exits; it means that, even though you asked
Wireshark to quit, it hasn't finished quitting.

I.e., it "remains in memory" because it "remains in the process table as a running process", so there's no reason to
expect it *not* to be in memory.

If I build the standard WS 1.6.0, all is good, but not with my code included.

Then it's probably some code of yours that's preventing the quit from completing.

Can you attach a debugger to the process to see where it's stuck?