Wireshark mailing list archives

Custom dissector and info column issue

From: Chris Miller <oily.rag () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 22:36:14 +0100

Hi,

I have come across an issue whilst attempting to write a custom dissector
for the XCP protocol.  The protocol sits on top of TCP and I am using the
tcp_dissect_pdus function to handle the reassembly of TCP packets to allow
successful dissecting of my PDUs.

The protocol includes a packet counter and I am adding these packet numbers
to the info column.  Everything works as expected except when a packet has
been reassembled.  In this case I only get the first packet number added to
the info column but the detailed information is still added as expected.
The screenshot at the URL below illustrates the problem.

http://postimage.org/image/uih7wfc4/

I should note that adding the packet numbers to the info column was not
initially my intention.  I was attempting to debug a sequence check in my
code.  This sequence check had a similar problem in that reassembled TCP
packets would fail the sequence check becuase I was comparing against the
first packet number rather than the subsequent packets.

This issue is a continuation of the forum thread below.  It was sugested to
add it to the mailing list for some further assistance.

http://ask.wireshark.org/questions/5382/custom-dissector-and-info-column

I have uploaded the source code, build files, dll and an example log file
extract to the following online storage repository.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cr32k2cgox06r91

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Chris