Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-users] How to compute the number of packets with bad checksum

From: Chris Maynard <Chris.Maynard () gtech com>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 17:58:09 +0000 (UTC)

W T <wokelmal@...> writes:

Now, I need to calculate the number of IP packets that have IP header
error (bad check sum)errors, using wireshark. Can any tell me the
steps to do this.

How about just using a display filter of "ip.checksum_bad==1"?  The number of
packets matching the filter will be displayed and the count of them is indicated
in the status bar.  Alternatively, tshark could be used instead, e.g.,

tshark -r file.pcap -R "ip.checksum_bad == 1" | wc -l