Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Eclipse project for Wireshark

From: Dietfrid Mali <karx11erx () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 08:29:21 +0100

Ok, thank you.

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:57:41 -0700
From: steve () stephen-fisher com
To: wireshark-dev () wireshark org
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Eclipse project for Wireshark

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 06:29:23PM +0100, Dietfrid Mali wrote:

Thanks. I tried that, and the files are indeed compiled with -g -O0,
but DDD (gdb) doesn't seem to find an program entry point (and
complains about bash missing on my openSUSE 11.3 box ???).

When you debug Wireshark from the root build directory, use libtool as
follows:

  libtool --mode=execute gdb ./wireshark

Otherwise, you'll be debugging the libtool wrapper script called
wireshark (which calls .libs/wireshark after setting up the proper
library paths and such).

If you wait to debug it until it's installed, the debugging symbols will
be stripped by make install.  I can usually debug Wireshark without
needing to turn off optimizations (-O0).