Wireshark mailing list archives

How to best register dissector for ethernet encapsulated packet (regarding comments in patch in bug 6017)

From: "Leonard Tracy (letracy)" <letracy () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:19:15 -0700

Hi All,

I'm working on finishing up development of a dissector.  The protocol
uses an Ethernet in Ethernet encapsulation format where the outer header
uses hierarchical source and destination mac addresses, there is then a
special ethertype and some info in a TAG (DTAG).   If I only register
the ethertype, then the Ethernet dissector will process the other source
and destination address and only the tag will get passed to my
dissector.  I would like my dissector to process the source and
destination address, the tag and then pass the original Ethernet frame
to the Ethernet dissector.

I was able to accomplish this using a heuristic dissector, but this
seems to present an unnecessary overhead on the system.  I'm wondering
if there's a more efficient way of accomplishing the above (having my
dissector run on both the Ethernet header and tag based on the ethertype
in the packet).

Thanks,

Leonard