Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Time Display issues opening traces

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:12:06 -0700

On Jun 10, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Chris Alton wrote:

Thanks a lot for that explanation Guy that gives me everything I needed.  I figured that was probably the case but I
swore I remembered Wireshark (or Ethereal) not doing that in the past but I missed that it seems :).

I guess I'll have to wait for pcap-ng to become more prevalent before I'll get my wish.

You'll need for pcap-ng to become more prevalent *and* for some standard for the time zone indication in the file.  (My
personal preference is for an Olson-style time zone name, which might require Wireshark to drag the Olson database
along - and might also require some API improvements to let it more easily use time zones other than the local time
zone to convert times.)