Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Using the PCRE library for Windows??

From: Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:18:22 -0700

On 6/22/11 4:31 PM, Alex Lindberg wrote:
True, but since pcre is removed from the windows library download site,
should the PCRE option still be in the config.nmake file?

No. As it stands, the PCRE content in config.nmake and Makefile.nmake
add unnecessary clutter.

In epan/ftypes/*c files, both the pcre lib and Gtkregex are  used
causing the developer to take both into account.  IMHO, ugly.

Would it be better to deprive users of functionality so the code can be
pretty?

In my case, I use the regcomp set of functions to build a library of
regex expressions to parse my data sets.  If the pcre lib is available
for Linux, why not for windows. I would request that the pcre libs/bin
file be restored to the 1.4 and 1.6 (trunk) resources.

You're assuming that there's a version of PCRE available to restore.
This isn't the case on 64-bit Windows, which is what prompted the move
to GRegex in the first place. GRegex lets us have more uniform feature
parity across the different platforms we support and removes a
dependency on an external library. However, it isn't available in older
versions of GLib so the pre-existing PCRE code has been left in place.

At some point we'll probably abandon PCRE entirely in favor of GRegex,
particularly if we require 2.14 or later.