Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Will EMF interference show up in Wireshark?

From: Larry Dieterich <macworks () dcn org>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:22:06 -0800

On Mar 10, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Kok-Yong Tan wrote:

Does it seem unlikely that a problem related to EMF would only affect one software process on one computer?

It might or might not.  Depends how strong the EMF is to the one computer it's crashing on; what's insulating the
said computer, etc.  Remember the Inverse Square Law.  However, it does sound rather far-fetched without knowing more
details.  Of course, if your Helix server is sitting in the same room as one of the Large Hadron Collider's
superconducting magnets at CERN, then yes!  ;-)

The server computer has been moved to two different physical locations within the facility and there seems to be no
change in the crashiness.

I think I'm about ready to rule out EMF as a possible cause.

Thanks for the other suggestions!

Larry