Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: running wireshark on my network

From: M Holt <m.iostreams () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 03:55:50 -0700

Get in touch with your system administrator, and find out how the machines
on your network are managed.
He / she, probably has some method in place to audit systems in the network.

Your question sounds like "is there any way to tell by looking at network
traffic, if someone is running Wireshark on a particular system in the
network".
This is of course, is not possible, because as already mentioned, Wireshark
passively monitors traffic, but is not injecting traffic of it's own.
The real question ( statement ) should be something like "I am running a
small network of 10 Windows 7 ( or Mac OSX, or Ubuntu Linux, etc )
computers, and I need to determine whether Wireshark is installed and
running on any of them".

Can you give more specifics to your situation?