Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: TCP dissect issue when app-level message spans multiple TCP packets

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 14:34:16 -0700

On May 5, 2011, at 1:49 PM, John Sullivan wrote:

I think knowing these things is pretty useful for the prospective
dissector writer - it certainly gives a better feel for the dynamics
of dissection and may help optimize the places where expensive work is
done - so I think that section of the documentation ought to be
expanded to mention it.

Actually, what dissector writers need to know is "do not make any assumptions whatsoever about whether the tree
argument will be null or not on any pass through the packets, as it's subject to change from release to release, from
user configuration to user configuration, and from program to program (dissectors currently run in Wireshark *and*
TShark)".