Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: recommendation NIC w/flow control frames

From: Jake Peavy <djstunks () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 13:09:15 -0400

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Andrej van der Zee <
andrejvanderzee () gmail com> wrote:

Hi,

We are about to buy NICs for sniffing networks by means of port-mirroring
on a PC running Linux/Ubuntu. Unfortunately we are not sure yet about the
network throughput that we will have to support. We would like to start
looking for a 10 Gigabit/sec NIC costing around 250 USD. Moreover, we are
not sure about specific NIC-options we should look out for which might
further reduce packet drops (such as the various offload-options). Hopefully
somebody out there could provide us with more information!

Hi, sorry to piggy back here but I have the same question (NIC
recommendation) but with a different requirement - I want to be able to
see/capture Ethernet Flow Control frames with Wireshark.  Apparently most
cards operate on flow control in hardware and never pass the information
[1].

So my question is if anyone has a NIC recommendation that will allow flow
control analysis?

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.tcpdump.devel/2054

Tks,

--
-jp

I think a good way to get into a movie is to show up where they're making
the movie, then stick a big cactus plant onto your buttocks and start
yowling and running around. Everyone would think it was funny, and the head
movie guy would say, "Hey, let's put him in the movie."

deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com