Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Problems with capturing on multiple interfaces

From: Chris Maynard <chris.maynard () gtech com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 14:25:38 +0000 (UTC)

Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen@...> writes:

You actually need:
-n to use pcapng
and
-t to use threads.

It is simple to add -n and -t if you are specifying more than one interface
(actually this is what tshark and wireshark do). I wanted to be explicit
since I consider it currently an experimental feature. But, if the groups
prefers, we can add -n and -t if there is more than one interface specified.

To me, if it doesn't work without -n and -t, then it makes it that much more
user-friendly to automatically use pcapng and threads whenever multiple
interfaces are specified.

I understand this is still a work in progress, but something else I was thinking
about was the "-i any" interface.  What will happen if someone specifies
something like, "-i eth0 -i any -i lo" or variations thereof?  I assume it would
be treated as "-i any" only?

And speaking of "-i any", obviously on Windows, that isn't supported ... but a
neat thing would be if it could be by internally scanning all interfaces and
treating it as if "-i 1 -i 2 ... -i n" were specified.

And while I'm at it ... another feature that I think would be nice to have would
be to be able to specify capturing on an interface that doesn't yet exist, such
as ppp0.  For my USB/PPP capturing, currently to get a capture of all traffic
over that interface, I either have to use usbmon or ppp's record option to
generate a pppdump file.  (OK, this last one isn't really specific to capturing
on multiple interfaces, but it's related to capturing so ...)

Thanks for the feedback.
You're welcome ... thanks for the feature!
- Chris