Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Replace TRUE/FALSE with proper ENC_* in proto_tree_add_item() using a script.

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 11:58:59 -0700

On Oct 10, 2011, at 11:44 AM, Bill Meier wrote:

In any case, no matter what is decided, changes will be needed for FT_STRING & etc.

Is it OK to just change all the instances with no character encoding to ENC_ASCII (with or without ENC_NA) ?

That, or ENC_UTF_8.  I suspect most new protocols support UTF-8; older ones either only specify ASCII or use various
legacy encodings.  Automated replacement will get it wrong for some protocols regardless of whether we use ENC_ASCII or
ENC_UTF_8; the question is which of those would be worse, for some value of "worse".