Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark newbee

From: Stephen Fisher <steve () stephen-fisher com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:49:32 -0600

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:44:47PM -0500, vijay wrote:

I am looking for some information on how Wireshark uses libpcap to
capture the packets and dissects it i.e, the complete process from
packet capture from the network to displaying to the user. I searched
for such a resource for some time now but couldnt find one. If some
one knows of such a material could you pls provide me the link.

Here is an overview from the developer's manual:

http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChWorksOverview.html

For more details, review the developer's guide, doc/README.developer in
the source code and most importantly, the source code itself.