Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: large capture files

From: Abbhishek Misra <abhishekfishy2000 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:09:14 +0530

Thanks Chris, this is going well.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Christopher Maynard <
christopher.maynard () gtech com> wrote:

Abbhishek Misra <abhishekfishy2000@...> writes:

I'm using wireshark to capture wifi packet.
When capture is run for long duration,  say 70k+ plus packets, wireshark
hangs.

Please let me know what method should be used for large captures.

Try using dumpcap[1] instead, then post-analyze the capture file(s) with
Wireshark afterwards.  Using dumpcap will avoid any potential
out-of-memory[2]
problems that can occur with long-running captures.

- Chris

[1]: http://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/dumpcap.html
[2]: http://wiki.wireshark.org/KnownBugs/OutOfMemory