Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Passing data from Plugin dissector to a standard wireshark dissector (i.e. TCP)

From: Martin Kaiser <lists () kaiser cx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 13:57:13 +0200

Hi Hammad,

Thus wrote hammad kabir (hammadsatti () gmail com):

I have recently implemented a wireshark dissector of a relatively
simple protocol (lets call the protocol as COOL) for a project of
mine. This dissector gets the data from IP layer and then parses it
according to protocol definition of COOL protocol. (so far its good).
But, next step involves passing the data from COOL protocol ( which is
a plugin dissector in my case) to TCP protocol for further dissection
of packet. However, I am having a difficult time in getting this
(later) task done.

a while ago, I added dissection of DVB-CI messages that contain a tcp or
udp part. Have a look at epan/dissectors/packet-dvbci.c. When the
connection is opened, I call store_lsc_msg_dissector() and try to find
the matching dissector for the selected tcp (or udp) port.
Later in dissect_dvbci_payload_lsc(), case
T_COMMS_SEND_LAST..., I call the tcp dissector using call_dissector()
and pass the message tvb as a parameter.

Is this similar to your task?

Regards,

   Martin