Wireshark mailing list archives

Capturing Email Traffic

From: "Mike Dodson" <mikejd208 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 16:48:44 -0600

I would like to monitor the email traffic in and out of our network to make sure that no one is using the incorrect
ports.  I need this information as I would like to setup a firewall rule that would only allow traffic to and from one
specific server.  I think I have found the answer to this question but so far no information has been captured yet.
When I start the capture and in the display filter I am using "pop or smtp" as the expression which should tell me when
there is that type of traffic.  Is this the correct way of doing this or is there a better way.
thanks for the help.
Mike