Wireshark mailing list archives

Dissector - How to add a new row to display next message payload in next row

From: Joe Leong <jleong () vtmgroup com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 21:38:06 +0000

In the Developer's Guide, 9.4.2 How to reassemble split TCP Packets
mentions "You also cannot assume that a TCP packet contains only one application layer message and that the message
header is at the start of your TCP payload. More than one messages can be transmitted in one TCP packet, so that a
message can start at an arbitrary position.".
I have this situation and
Would there be an example that show how to properly display the COL_INFO for the second TCP payload message as a
separate (next) row?

e.g. - Currently, my dissector performs the correction dissection on both messages, but I'm having to display the
information for both messages on the same row within the "Info" column

So it looks like

No.         Time      Source                  Destination         Protocol               Info
1              232.1     10.1.1.1                10.1.1.2                XXXX                     DOG CAT

What do I see to do to make the presentation look like

No.         Time      Source                  Destination         Protocol               Info
1              232.1     10.1.1.1                10.1.1.2                XXXX                     DOG

        CAT

or even

No.         Time      Source                  Destination         Protocol               Info
1              232.1     10.1.1.1                10.1.1.2                XXXX                     DOG
1              232.1     10.1.1.1                10.1.1.2                XXXX                     CAT

or perhaps

No.         Time      Source                  Destination         Protocol               Info
1              232.1     10.1.1.1                10.1.1.2                XXXX                     DOG
2              232.1     10.1.1.1                10.1.1.2                XXXX                     CAT

Basically, how do I allocate and display information to the next row from within my dissector?

Thanks,
Joe