Wireshark mailing list archives

CentOS 6.3 and DUMPCAP -B option

From: John Powell <jrp999 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 07:52:58 -0600

Hi Everyone,

I am performing a continuous capture of a large IP stream using dumpcap.

I have been told by my users that they are experiencing packet drop.

I am running CentOS 6.3 with:

   - wireshark-1.2.15-2.el6_2.1.x86_64
   - wireshark-gnome-1.2.15-2.el6_2.1.x86_64
   - libpcap-1.0.0-6.20091201git117cb5.el6.x86_64

I found this solution on a Dumpcap man page:

*-B <capture buffer size>*

Set capture buffer size (in MB, default is 1MB). This is used by the the
capture driver to buffer packet data until that data can be written to
disk. If you encounter packet drops while capturing, try to increase this
size. Note that, while *Dumpcap* attempts to set the buffer size to 1MB by
default, and can be told to set it to a larger value, the system or
interface on which you're capturing might silently limit the capture buffer
size to a lower value or raise it to a higher value.

This is available on UNIX systems with libpcap 1.0.0 or later and on
Windows. It is not available on UNIX systems with earlier versions of
libpcap.

This option can occur multiple times. If used before the first occurrence
of the *-i* option, it sets the default capture buffer size. If used after
an *-i* option, it sets the capture buffer size for the interface specified
by the last *-i* option occurring before this option. If the capture buffer
size is not set specifically, the default capture buffer size is used if
provided.
but alas this options in not available on my build even though I am running
libpcap 1.0.0-6.

*Any suggestions as to how to utilize the capture buffer size option on my
machine will be greatly appreciated!*

Thanx in advance.

-John