Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Trunk not playing nicely with Ubuntu's overlay scrollbars

From: Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:12:08 -0400

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Jakub Zawadzki
<darkjames-ws () darkjames pl> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:01:21PM -0400, Evan Huus wrote:
For the last few days, SVN builds have been crashing immediately on my
Ubuntu Quantal system due to Ubuntu's overlay scrollbars. The
backtrace is *entirely* within GTK and liboverlay-scrollbar, which
means it's either a bug in liboverlay-scrollbar (which is possible, as
this is an Ubuntu pre-release) or in the way we're setting up
scrollbars and GTK boxes and such (which is also possible, as that
area of the code has been seeing some churn).

It crash before or after opening capture file?

It crashes whenever I mouse over a scroll-bar. I can open and browse
capture files (including using BytesView) just fine as long as I
perform the mouse gymnastics necessary to avoid touching a scrollbar.
As soon as that happens, it crashes.

I'll try and do a bisection
tomorrow, but if anyone who's been making some of the GTK changes
could shed some light, that would be appreciated.

Probably BytesView ;-)
Can you check if it's started crashing in r43728 (or any later compiling revision)?

Disabling liboverlay-scrollbar and reverting to normal GTK scrollbars
works fine, which seems to point the finger at liboverlay-scrollbar,
not us, but I'll still run the bisection.

This is rather bizarre. The problem is revision 43646. I have
double-checked by reverting just those two lines on my local latest
trunk, and the bisection is accurate - somehow revision 43646 is the
problem.

I see that the code it calls does some things with the packet display,
but the crash is happening even on the main page before loading a
capture, so I'm at a bit of a loss. Any ideas?